• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I Could Own A $10,000 Shenmue Jacket..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We should totally do a "Shenmue jacket for Huber" kickstarter.

This. Although make it an 'art' project or some shit to make it legit. Make it a short duration one so you still have time to cancel if it doesn't cover the costs

openrob

I'd be willing to do a raffle + whatever excess funds received goes to charity. I'm not looking to make money off of this.

At this time, still pledged. 1000 people is a lot though, and I still think probably frowned upon here.

Bro make it a $3 raffle ticket.

I am sure there are 4000+ people that are willing to gamblethe price of a large coke to own the jacket. YOu may even make some money. The winner can do what they want with it.

Recently, I lost my job and the opportunity to get a 1000 in the world limited edition putter came along (I am a golfer) and I was super hesitant but thought screw it, it's money.

I could sell this putter for $1000 profit, and I play with it so that won't happen but it's awesome and I love it.

This is the same thing, and as Nike said, JUST DO IT. You can definitely sell for profit*.

*Disclaimer, this isn't guaranteed but is most likely.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Give it to Huber, for real. Or at least let it go to a Shenmue nut who really wants it, who'd pledge thousands of dollars off the bat without blinking.

Erekiddo

Is Huber the guy who freaked out in the Gametrailers video?

Outside of the GiantBomb guys, I'm not up-to-date with gaming journalists anymore.

Skyzard

Banned
Please cancel your pledge now instead of waiting till the last minute. Someone out there actually wants to pay for the jacket and if you cost Yu 10k by your imprudence, may Chai find you in an arcade.

Still with this shit op?

Tizoc

Just make sure you know what the fabric is, so you don't have to go through this
205-jacket.png

Glass

Yeah this won't be a big deal if you cancel 27 days out, but the longer you sit on it undecided the worse it begins to look.
Option A) cancel
Option B) decide ASAP to put up the money yourself or
Option C) crowd fund it somehow, which will be extremely messy since you don't really have time to organise anything thoroughly, and will probably end awkwardly and get picked up on by numerous games sites.

Theonik

Give it to Huber, for real. Or at least let it go to a Shenmue nut who really wants it, who'd pledge thousands of dollars off the bat without blinking.
Yeah, I am still mad at the OP for doing what he did tbh but I only have my self to blame for hesitating. I pledged before the OP and the jacket was still available. It is entirely my fault.
To atone I would probably consider the raffle...

Erekiddo

Double post for new news. Forgive me!

RYO'S JACKET - REPLICA $3,000-
We have created this very special reward due to popular demand. If you were kicking yourself for missing the Original, this is your chance!
Not just any replica of Ryo's trademark leather jacket. This is a Yu Suzuki approved replica of Ryo's trademark leather jacket. Yeah, you want it.
The jacket and physical rewards are presented by Fangamer. We want to thank them for all of their hard work in making this superb collector's item. Their love for Shenmue really shows! Thank you so much!

$3,000 for a replica? Abandon all hope.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't intend on holding it hostage. As of now, I want the jacket. Whether for me, or a raffle and/or charity is TBD.
I get that after the accidental pledge you began to consider how cool it would be to own this collector's item, but I don't get how you could intend to pledge just $29 and then decide you really want a $10,000 pledge and a one of a kind jacket.

Wedge7

If someone is willing to spend $3k on a replica, I'm thinking they'd definitely put $7k more toward the real thing.

I had my fun. The endless possibilities of that 10k jacket have amused me.

The dream is dead. I'm changing my pledge from $10k back to $29 when I get off of work.

the floodgates are open

OP said in the other kickstarter thread that he's going to be letting it go. Guess the fun is over.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So what are you going to do now? I'd be down for a raffle, giving it to Huber or back to Yu.

If you want to cancel, that's understandable as well, 10K is just way too much for a jacket, as much sentimental value it has to its creator.

It's funny a Gaffer got the opportunity to have it. Hope you think it well. I don't know you, so I have no idea if down the line you'll feel you dodged a bullet there or a big regret. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh nevermind, you gave it up. Hope you are not going to regret it! But at least you will be able to eat and live.

Houndi101

Theonik

Dude, you need to buy that jacket. It will be worth so much more a few years down the line.
It's already worth much more than the pledge amount imo.
There are Shenmue fans that would drop $20k easy on it.

So what's the story behind this jacket? Why is it so special?
One of a kind replica used for production purposes and worn by the original Japanese VA in all the promotional events.
The in game jacket itself is quite an iconic piece of game clothing and has received cameos in many games.

Red Hood

Banned
That's an awful lot of money. I probably know ten thousand better ways of spending it. This question has probably already been asked, but I can't read 8 pages of posts. So, how much do you make a year, OP? If it's not at least well over six digits, what the fuck are you thinking?

That's an awful lot of money. I probably know ten thousand better ways of spending it. This question has probably already been asked, but I can't read 8 pages of posts. So, how much do you make a year, OP? If it's not at least well over six digits, what the fuck are you thinking?

OP removed his pledge.

Erekiddo

It's already worth much more than the pledge amount imo.
There are Shenmue fans that would drop $20k easy on it.

There's a couple of things I see wrong with this.

Full disclosure: If I had kept the pledge, I wouldn't have kept the jacket. There's no way I can justify spending $10,000 on a piece of clothing, when just a bit more, I could pay off the remainder of my car.

I'd definitely sell it - but then there's the downside of being considered a scalper or flipper. People who hang onto something for a while and then sell it aren't chastised, but people who sell immediately are.

I couldn't buy and sell this thing for twice the price in good conscience. Plus there's a huge risk involved. What if, in fact, no one wants the jacket?

I'm by no means rich, I just happened to snag the jacket tier (on accident) as soon as it went up.

I see someone else has picked up the jacket now.

Me! :lol

Full disclosure: If I had kept the pledge, I wouldn't have kept the jacket. There's no way I can justify spending $10,000 on a piece of clothing, when just a bit more, I could pay off the remainder of my car.

I'd definitely sell it - but then there's the downside of being considered a scalper or flipper. People who hang onto something for a while and then sell it aren't chastised, but people who sell immediately are.

I couldn't buy and sell this thing for twice the price in good conscience. Plus there's a huge risk involved. What if, in fact, no one wants the jacket?

I'm by no means rich, I just happened to snag the jacket tier (on accident) as soon as it went up.

Me! :lol

By accident..
Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

I'm 100% expecting you to try and sell it the moment you get your hands on it. And son, you'd be a fool not to if you truely did it by "accident".

Theonik

Well it would be a fairly dickish thing to do, especially in this case where there are real fans willing to support the project for $10k and you deprive them from it on the grounds of making a profit? That's just evil. EVIL.

Of course ultimately the whole point is to support the project. This is why the creator is parting with it in the first place, he is making a sacrifice of something of great sentimental value to him to support the project on the premise that it goes in the hands of a truly devoted fan.

There is a 99% chance you will regret this immediately after seeing your bank statements. Food and housing is more important than a jacket you can probably get on Etsy for 60-70 bucks.

I say don't do it.

thedan001

I'd donate for Huber

I don't agree giving it back to Yu Suzuki since he already gave it away

EDIT: welp, never mind lol

Maybe another Gaffer brought it up after NeoNess canceled? Someone speak up if that's true!

Top Bottom